Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 1 of Cycle. Chest.

So, this morning I woke up, threw on my gym clothes and walked right out the door. Chest time baby! The most overrated workout, in my opinion. Anyways, I was pumped from listening to my Ipod. As soon as I got into the gym I did a little warm up by doing couple of push ups to get the blood flowing.

So here is my chest workout routine for the day:



Exercise 1: Incline Press with Dumbbells 1x10, 1x8, 1x6


First set I used 75 lbs. dumbbells. Second set I used 80 lbs. dumbbells. Third set I used 85 lbs. dumbbells. For chest presses, whether it is incline, flat or decline I never fully extend my arm since that allows your chest to rest and puts strain onto your triceps. I try to isolate the chest so I only go up about three-fourths of the way and back down to maintain that pump feeling. Explode up and control it back down. I thank youtube channel user HahnChampion for that tip. Also another tip is try not to arch your back when doing these or else it turns similar to flat presses and it might strain your back. I only allow myself 30 seconds to 1 minute rest each set.




Exercise 2: Flat Press with Dumbbells 1x10, 1x8, 1x6

I used the same weight respectively to my incline press. As I mentioned before, I do not fully extend my arms to lockout. Same rest time as the incline press. Remember to explode up and control it coming back down.






Exercise 3: Flat Flyes with Dumbbells 1x10, 1x9, 1x8, 1x4

With flies, I go heavy. I mean HEAVY, but I workup there. I started with 35 lbs. dumbbells which is really light for me and work my way up to 50 lbs. dumbbells, only going up 5 lbs each set. With this exercise, you want to slightly bend your elbows and squeeze your chest when you are at the top of the motion. Then control it back down to the starting position of the exercise. This exercise is great for widening your chest and adds mass as well. Since I am going heavy with this exercise, I rest about 30 seconds for the first 2 sets and then gave myself 1 minute rest time in between the 2nd and 3rd set and about 1 minute and a half between the 3rd and 4th set.


I love good form =)


Exercise 4: Push ups with Bosu Ball 4x10

The push ups are really just for cooling down. I do not over exert myself with these. The bosu ball allows the movement to be more dynamic and by doing that it works out your core as well. Nothing really special about this exercise; its very much like your standard push ups, but using the bosu ball of course. My rest time for this exercise is 30 seconds between each set.





Exercise 5: Straight Leg Raises for Abs on Captain's Chair 2x20

This exercise is pretty tough. It burns by the time I get towards my 20th rep. I allow myself only 1 minute rest in between my sets. When doing this exercise, do not swing your legs using momentum. Control it up and very importantly, control is going back down. You should raise your legs up to 90 degrees relative to your body and back down so that your legs are straight relative to your body.









Exercise 6: Free Weight Side Bends for Obliques 2x10 (each side).

Same thing but with a 45 lb. plate.
I do this by holding a 45 lb. plate on one hand. I am standing up so I side bend towards the side with the weight and come back up, bending a little towards the other side. Then I repeat. Nothing special. Its just to get rid of some fat on the love handles, haha.









After all that, I hopped on an elliptical for about 10 minutes. My intensity level on it was merely 50%. I didn't want to stress myself and burn off muscle mass.

This about sums up my exercise routine for the day. I will update this later with my diet for the day. Just got a question for you all. What do you guys listen to in the gym to get you mentally pumped? I personally love the strong Headstrong by Trapt. I listen to that before all heavy lifts. Comment Below!

2 comments:

  1. I'm lifting weights to tone up and aid in weight loss. I'm a 40 yo female with about 30 pounds to lose and 41% body fat. I do 25 minutes of cardio (either running or cycling) and then weight train. I end with 5 intense minutes on the stair climber for a calorie burning boost. Could those 5 minutes be burning off muscle mass?

    "After all that, I hopped on an elliptical for about 10 minutes. My intensity level on it was merely 50%. I didn't want to stress myself and burn off muscle mass."

    ReplyDelete