Friday, August 20, 2010

Arm Day

Will I ever get arms like Arnold's? 
My first workout blog post and it turns out today it was my "Arms" day in my weekly cycle. No, I am not the idiot at your gym that does biceps and chest every single day. I do train my full body, separating my workout routine into a 5 day workout regime.

My weekly workout routine goes along the lines of this:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Arms
Saturday - Rest

*cycle repeats*

I only rest one day per week.

So, today my workout routine went somewhere along the lines of this:

Light weight baby!! Standing curls.
My first exercise was standing curls with the e-z bar. I did 4 sets. My first set I loaded my bar with 25 lbs. on each side. I put up 10 reps with ease, but controlled my form. Exploded up and controlled it going down. My second set I just added 5 lb. weights on each side. I managed to bang out another 10 reps, not as easily as the previous set but it was manageable. I started to struggle the last 2 reps a bit. For my third set, I threw on another 5 lbs. on each side bringing the total weight to 85 lbs. This time, I couldn't do 10 reps but I did manage to get 8 reps, which isn't too shabby. Finally, my last set I dropped the weight back to 25 lbs. on each side and like the first set, I put up 10 reps but not as easily since I was fatigued from my previous sets. Overall I had an average rest period of 30 seconds to a minute after each set.
Skull Crushers

My second exercise was "skull crushers" with the e-z bar. I did 4 sets. First set I put on 25 lbs. on each side. Easy 10 reps. Second set, I threw on 5 lbs. on each side. A little bit of struggle but I managed to do 10 reps as well. I try to keep my elbows in as close to my body as possible when doing these so it isolates the triceps.  My third set I added on another 5 lbs. This time I was struggling to get to 8 reps. The last couple reps on this set took a lot out of me just to get it up. My fourth and final set I dropped back down to 25s and did 10 reps.  I realize that my triceps are extremely weak compared to the rest of my body, in my opinion. I think if my triceps were stronger, I can easily put up more weight on my bench.

Hammer Curls
My third exercise was hammer curls with dumbbells. I did 5 sets with this including my warm up set. I started off with 30 lbs. and worked my way up to 50 lbs. My warm up set I did the 30 lb. dumbbells easily 10 times each arm. My first set was with 35 lb. dumbbells. This was easy for me as well. I put up 10 reps each arm. I don't know if its true for everyone but hammer curls are a lot easier for me than the standard curls. My second set I picked up 40 lb. dumbbells and this time I decreased the reps to about 8 per arm just so I can have some energy left for the heavier weights. My third set I picked up 45 dumbbells and it started to get tough. Before this set I tried to keep my form as good as possible. I tried to not swing the weights. I started off with my third set staying with good form but when I got up to around the 6th rep I had to start putting a little english (swaying) into my body movements to build up momentum to pick the weight up. Nonetheless, I barely swing my arms around. I managed to pull 8 reps per arm this set. My fifth set I put up 50 lbs. for 6 reps per arm. Form was getting iffy after the 3rd rep or so but hey, its quite heavy and I was tired!!

Don't do what Hunchback of Notre Dame does.
My fourth exercise was tricep pull downs with the rope. This exercise I only did 3 sets but went as heavy as I possibly can. I did pull downs starting with 50 lbs. for my first set. It was alright. Not too hard but not too easy. Managed to get 10 reps. I juiced the weight up to 60 lbs for my second set and this time I struggled. I only managed to do 8 reps. Again, I try to keep form as good as possible. I do not lean my body weight on top of the machine. I stand against the padding the machine provides and keeping my back straight, I try to isolate my triceps while pulling the rope down, splitting it as I go further down. Anyways, my third set I attempted 70 lbs. but I only did 4 reps so I set it back down to 60 lbs. and finished the set off going up to 8 reps.

This should be the starting position of each rep.
My fifth exercise is my favorite, the pull up. (Do you sense the sarcasm?) I try to do them with strict form as well. I do dead hangs meaning I pull myself up, my chin passing the bar, then let myself down to hanging position. This is really hard. If you don't do dead hangs when doing pull ups, then I suggest you should start. My first set I got 8 reps. Second set I got 7 reps. Third set I got 6 reps. Fourth set I got 5 reps. This was all body weight. I did not add any weight onto my body anywhere. I am hoping to be able to get to 20 reps straight with ease doing dead hangs in the near future.

Dips
My last exercise is dips. I love doing these as a "burnout" for my triceps. They give my triceps a good pump. Much like the pull ups, I do not add weight. I only do bodyweight. First set I did 15 reps. Second set I did 12 reps. Third set 10 reps. Fourth set 8 reps. I am curious as to wonder if you guys get that click by your elbows when you do dips? It doesn't hurt but I feel it. Its just annoying but I deal with it.

That sums up my workout for today. I hope you enjoyed reading. Feel free to comment below.

1 comment: